Friday, July 27, 2012

WK4 Reading - The Art of Possibility



As teachers, we inspire creativity and individuality in our students. We create the framework of possibility in their lives. Is it a simple task? NO! Sometimes it is a very hard task to get students to step out of their “comfort zones” and try something new, challenging, different. This weekend I saw a couple of my old students. They have just completed their first year of college. I started teaching them their freshman year of high school as a substitute and followed them off and on as their sub through their Sr. year. It was during their 10th grade year that I became their permanent substitute due to the original teacher becoming ill and passing away. It was a very traumatic year for them. One of the students was the teacher’s cousin. It was my first time to be in charge of everything in the classroom including lesson plans. I LOVED IT!! But the most important part was helping my students create a new framework of possibility. I made mistakes and they made mistakes, but we learned together. I was allowed to be their teacher from August to the end of October when a certified teacher was hired. I really missed seeing those students everyday and interacting with them, but I was still a substitute in the school and saw them almost every week. Our hearts had connected. In September of their 11th grade year, their teacher became ill and I became their permanent sub again until December. I was so excited to be in their lives again on a daily basis and create a new framework of possibility with them. I supported them in their school activities, band, football, baseball, fund raisers, etc. They became my children. From time to time, I get to see them and visit with them. I so enjoy the big hugs and smiles exchanged during those brief moments. This weekend was one of them. I was leaving a movie and 3 of them were sitting on a bench waiting for their movie to start. I heard, “Mrs. Wayt!” and turned to see their smiling faces. We hugged and chatted about their first year of college and what the future holds. I could’ve stayed there talking to them forever, but had to go. As we parted, hugs were given again and “I love you, Mrs. Wayt! Your were my favorite teacher!” I don’t think it was because they learned a lot of book knowledge from me. I think it was because I inspired possibility, encouraged them to create new frameworks, realizing their dreams. When I think of those students, I always see the spark in their eyes, “shining eyes,” as we broke down the barriers the world had given us, dreamed, reached for the limitless possibilities, and soared. 

3 comments:

  1. Jena that is so inspiring to read. These are the kinds of memories I think all children should take away from the learning environment. My wish is that I had some of those same types of inspiring stories from my high school teachers, junior high or even elementary teachers but I don't. I did have some teachers that left footprints in spirit for various reasons but overall my school years were not that great. I loved learning because I developed it early on at home and church an despite those very few who didn't quite light a spark in me in school I did have it lite in me at home so it balanced out in the end. However many of my students don't get that same love and attention at home today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jena,

    My favorite sentence in your entire blog post; "Our hearts had connected." Isn't that just the truth with students? I don't think it matters if you are a short or long term substitute, a full time teacher, or a parent. I fell in love with my children when they were born. It became my life's mission to guide them, to pass the sparks on to them, to help them identify and realize their passions. I fall in love with my students every year, as well. For me, it really isn't that different than parenting - I guide them, I pass the sparks to them, and I help them identify and realize their passions. Jena, our personal stories from this week are very similar - I so appreciate hearing about your connection with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing how you've touched and inspired your former students. To see eyes shining is it's own reward.

    ReplyDelete