Friday, July 20, 2012

WK 3 Reading - The Art of Possibility

It is my responsibility to awaken the possibility in other people. I like the way that sounds! I find that I have certain people I go to when I need encouragement and just someone to listen to me express my thoughts and feelings out loud. I am pretty sure that I have friends that come to me when they need the same thing. Listening is very important to help others see the possibility right before them. I get very excited when I get the opportunity to do just that. But, shouldn’t I be doing that with everyone I meet? Do I do that? If I am being honest, I will have to say no. The first people that come to mind are my children. Are their eyes always shining? Do I awaken possibility in them? No, I don’t always. Why? Because I take my desires and myself too seriously! Downward spirals are everywhere at times. I need to start saying, “How fascinating!” every time my children/people and I make mistakes. I need to begin to use the words – How about? What if? What are we looking for? What’s next? More often! Zander says, “The leader is the one who can distinguish the downward spiral and then has the power to take people from the downward spiral to radiating possibility.” That is my new goal for this year! I want to empower people to radiate with possibility, to have a vision. How do I do that? I will use Zander’s key:
1.  It’s all invented.
2.  Standing in possibility.
3.  Rule #6 – Don’t take myself so seriously.

I watched an interview with Roz and Ben. This is what Ben said at the end:
“Possibility is always only one sentence away. Whenever things get tough or difficult or the mountain seems too high climb, remember that possibility is always only one sentence away. So, come up with a sentence and think what it is we can say and physically manifest that will take us into possibility. It can be something very simple. It is always there. You can never fail to find it.”
Zanders Art of Possibility Introduction

The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional & Personal Life 
by Rosamund Stone Zander, Benjamin Zander


5 comments:

  1. Hey Jena. I enjoyed reading your post about pushing yourself and others to use the keys that Zander provided. Before reading this book in general, I never really took a step back and analyze why things happen as they do. Why have I not assisted myself in seeing the actual possibilities instead of settling for what’s offered? It shows that I rely to heavily on my calculating self to manage all that life has to offer. I will also attempt to utilize the inspiring words through the first 8 chapters. I think I will start off with installing Rule #6 into my program and go from there. The possibilities are endless when you remove the negativity and search for the possibilities. Thanks for posting Jena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jena, I had to reread you blog twice I liked it so much. I really appreciated how you applied points from the reading to your life so personally, asking important self-reflective questions. (I in turn, while reading your blog, asked myself the questions as you posed them, so know that you have already radiated some possibility, as you mentioned was your intention! I, too am a mom and considered the points as both a teacher and a mother. I agree with you that these are great inspirations for parenting, too. In considering it's all invented, it's important that we consider what we are inventing/want inventing (where the invented stuff stems from.) Then we can be careful in our manifesting of stuff we truly want and is beneficial for positive, focused transformation. Wahoo! Thannks for your open, inspiring reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jena - I, too, watched the interview with Roz and Ben. I, too, am embracing the notion that possibility is only one sentence away. Every year, I try to come up with a new "sentence" to send my students out the door with, without recycling any from previous years, and without blatently stealing them from somewhere else. That is a challenge! As an AVID teacher promoting college preparedness, I was watching a video of an instructor using specific strategies to engage his students. One of his strategies was a choral response, a cheer, a mantra at the end of each class. He, and all students, simply said, "Be excellent today!" to each other as they departed class. I love it, and will have to blatently use it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your post! Excellent points and great goals for the next year. I could help but read the other comments made about your post. I like that you included the "one sentence" part. I also liked Paula's comment about a phrase to send away my students. I usually say " y'all have a good day!" each class/ day....but I think I will be changing it up this year! Thank you for your post. I think I will go watch that interview now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful reflection on the reading and possible next steps for you. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete