Sunday, July 29, 2012

WK4 Leadership Post: Role Model Reflection

googleimages
Her name is Susan. I was 19 years old when I met her. She was a Kindergarten teacher, and I was her aide. She was kind, loving, compassionate, gentle, and a great teacher. Her specialty was special needs children. She had a way of reaching them that I had never seen before. It was my first time to work with special needs children in a blended classroom. There was one boy who was autistic. He didn’t really like me very much (and still doesn’t to this day). It didn’t matter what I said or how I said it, I would send him into one of his ‘fits.’ Susan was quick to act. She would pull him aside and talk to him in this still, quiet voice. It was like she cast a spell on him. I watched in amazement. Susan loved to teach and sing. She was very creative and always tried new things in her classroom. She always showed LOVE to those around her. Susan was also my Youth Pastor’s wife. I learned so much about relationships from her. She explained what it was like to be married. It wasn’t at all like the fairy tales in books or in the movies. She was honest about struggles she had within her own marriage. At that age, I didn’t think that ministers ever had trouble. I will never forget what she told me, “Loving your spouse is a choice. Every morning when I wake up, I make a choice to love my husband no matter what. It isn’t always an easy task. There are some days when I don’t like him very much, but I will always love him.” This was her secret to a happy marriage. LOVE…
She will always be an inspiration, a light, to me as I continue on my journey.
googleimages

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your leadership role model. What a wonderful example to have at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete