Friday, July 13, 2012

WK2 Reading: The Art of Possibility


GoogleImages


I had a teacher in an undergrad class that told a story about her English class. The students were having a hard time “thinking outside the box.” So, my teacher, with permission, took away all their desks and gave them a box to sit on. They could have their desk back once they started thinking “outside the box.” It took some students longer than others, but eventually, they all started thinking of different possibilities for writing stories or any type of work they were doing in any subject. She said this was a very empowering tool that she gave those students. The question I have asked myself for years is, “Who made up the standards we hold to in life?” Why do I tend to use them to measure my success in anything? Aren’t I different than everyone else? Shouldn’t my success look and feel different than everyone else’s? The Art of Possibility answers all of these questions. It is up to me to determine my success. I need to give myself an “A” and go from there. I see the world differently than those around me and vice versa. What Zander said in the TED video really struck a chord with me (ha-ha). It is my job to awaken the possibility in other people, my children. What I say makes a difference in other people’s lives. When I was teaching, I knew that I was getting through to my students when I saw the spark in their eyes or, as Zander puts it, shining eyes. We need to break down the barriers the ‘world’ gives to us and teach our students that we are the ones that put limitations on ourselves. Teach them that there is no limit to possibilities and then watch them soar.
This reminds me of what my son’s doctor told me many years ago. My son was diagnosed with ADHD and Dyslexia and he thinks way outside the box, so far that I would have to retrace his thoughts to get them to line up so I could understand what he was saying/thinking. I asked his doctor once if he would ever be “normal.” He told me, “How do you know that he isn’t the normal one and everyone else is not?” Hmmm…

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jena, I completely agree with you on your take on how we as educators must consistently provide our students with the tools that they need to soar on a personal level, their own expectations. I certainly believe that the ‘normal’ has been created by society because we have been wired to think a certain way, believe certain things or in certain ideals. We as a society must be open to difference… expected to be able to work with those differences and help those individuals reach their highest level of achievements. Your story that you shared with us on your son’s doctor and his diagnosis, “How do you know that he isn’t the normal one, and everyone else is not?” I have worked in mental health for seven years and I often believe that we as a society are quick to label and judge, everyone is different and everyone is wired differently. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last sentence is priceless. Perfectly Priceless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reflection and interaction with the reading. Love the quote from the doctor, how do we know he isn't the normal one. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete