Wednesday, June 27, 2012

WK 1 Reading - Copyright Issues

"If you can create it, then you have the right to protect it and legally claim it as your own." This is the legal definition of copyright. So, what does it mean? Well, any copyrightable materials are works such as audio, books, artwork, plays, movies and videos. Only the owner has the right to use and reuse his/her work without permission. I was surprised to learn that dance can also be copyrighted along with movies, film, and music. Are Michael Jackson's moves copyrighted? What about MC Hammer? I can think of a few others, but I'm sure you get my point. A copyright for a company lasts for 100 years and a lifetime plus 70 years for an individual owner. That is quite a long time. It seems that copyright is all about money and not about creativity. In Brazil, artists are more interested in becoming popular by allowing their music to be mixed and played at large parties and clubs. If the audience likes the music, the artist will be able to perform in a concert where he/she can make some big money. In the US, pirating and mixing music is a crime. What does that say about our country?

As an educator, we are not covered by the tag, "All images, clips, and audio captured are intended for educational use only." As stated in the videos I watched, if I can remove the copyrighted material and still teach the lesson, then that usage doesn't fall under the Fair Use umbrella. I would have to obtain permission from the original author or owner. With fair use, I can borrow a small amount of copyrighted work for teaching, news reporting, parody (comedy), and critical comment (Walter Cronkite type of stuff). Fair use is only a legal defensible position, not a right. I have to follow certain rules as with everything else. In short, how I use it and how much I use. It is very important to remember to always give credit to the original creator. Creative Commons (creativecommons.org) is a great place to look for this type of material. On this site, you can find all types of works that you are free to use as long as you site the source and give credit. Symbols of the creative commons license inform users how they are allowed to use the work. The owners are giving us permission to use their work in different creative ways instead of stifling our creativity. I really like the TED talk by Larry Lessig. What caught my attention the most was what he said about John Philip Sousa. What great foresight Sousa had about where our culture was headed, from a Read/Write society to a Read/Only society. This is so true in many areas. The kids of today are trying to tell us that they want to be allowed to have the right to be creative in any way they choose, but it is our job to teach them the correct and legal way in which to express their creativity. I feel confident that now I am able to do just that.

6 comments:

  1. All of the videos have been an eye opener when dealing with copyrights. I never knew that it could become this confusing trying to fully understand how the law operates. I’m so glad I’ve never had to use the “Fair Use” statement. I also have never heard of Creative Commons before watching these videos. That has to be the best site to find all types of materials needed to create or enhance new projects. I like how it gives artist an opportunity to work with others to sample, modify, or build a new creation from their work. I’m surprised that it isn’t really promoted mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jena we actually share some of the same ideas as it relates to copyright. I was not aware of the multiple layers to fair use nor the different avenues it covered. These videos have been very informative for me across this week. I am very appreciative of receiving creative commons. Until this class I honestly have never heard of being able to retrieve so much material that was free to use as long as you credit the owner that is a great idea. I only wish I had found this site much earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jena - You have addressed many of the topics covered in this week's videos. I appreciate your last sentences, where you said that the kids of today want to be creative in any way they choose, and that it is our responsibility to teach them the correct and legal way to express their creativity. Having learned tons of new information from this week's videos, I think the best way for me to educate my students as to the legalities is to model it for them. I plan to make a very intentional point of not only discussing copyright, but also modeling how to correctly select and cite sources used in my presentations for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jena, That's great that you have come to this understanding. I, also, have had some issues clarified. However, I still need some some more clarification. I will bookmark the creativecommons.org website. I think that there is a general umbrella that the rules can be applied to, but like any legal document, it is changing and in flux. It would be wise to work on a case-by-case basis. This summer, I plan to work up a case study in which my students could apply and defend their positions on use of a particular type of creation, whether it be musical, image-based or dance based. This should provide an avenue for critical thinking and defending their opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jena,
    I must agree with Kat and yourself. I was completely oblivious to the extent of copyright issues and their use in the world- especially in education! In my classroom case, I too would like to and hope to continue to use small clips for educational purposes within my classroom. Having a clearer understanding of what is right and what is wrong in respect to copyright laws will allow me to properly make use of the massive amount of media available nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent overview and reflection on the copyright issues materials. Very well balanced, with concerns noted. Your comments really motivate me to be much more diligent to get this material ready for earlier classes in the EMDT program on-board with understanding what copyright really means in a more meaningful way. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete